I consider myself a D.I.Y artist. Mainly because I don’t have a ‘traditional’ label. All my music is released under my 2 woman label 2Witches. Yep. That’s the label name. Let’s move on.
My debut album Invincible Summer (available on iTunes) won 2 Wawela Music Awards: Best Creative Album & Best Female Composer/Artist.
How did we get here?
1. In 2005 I couldn’t read of write music. I bought a crappy keyboard at a secondhand store and started taking piano lessons.
2. A friend’s boyfriend had a home studio and I started writing some songs (with his help). I recorded my demo in his closet. No lies. I recorded vocals in his closet & we would have to stop occasionally (so I don’t suffocate ha ha ha). One of those songs on Invincible Summer was written during this time. Are You Listening:
3. ‘Shopped’ the demo around. No love. One label guy told me that I was “too different” and another said my music would be “difficult to sell”. I kept taking piano lessons and decided to work on an EP.
4. Found yet another ‘home studio’ friend. Luckily, his studio was in his study. So there was no threat of suffocation in a closet. We had to stop recording on ‘mail days’ because his dogs would bark at the mail man (interrupting our session). The final result was my first EP: Green.
5. Some of (SA) radio stations had the same reaction as labels to the EP. Thankfully regional, community and campus radio stations felt differently. Yay!! My songs were being played on radio.
6. I got to hang out at the Red Bull Studios for a ‘Red Bull Academy Taster’. Met many great people and ended up recording my second EP (TheInBetween) with Oltak.
7. Some of my songs started getting played by radio stations in Europe. Shout out to my amazing manager Marcee. We are a 2 woman label with a tiny (read: non existent) budget for marketing etc. This was a major deal for us.
8. Butterflies from the second EP was remixed by DJ Zinhle.
9. After saving like a mother who wants her kids to go to good schools… We finally had enough money to record an album. It probably took us 2 years (with some breaks in between) to complete Invincible Summer.
10. Again, my amazing manager came through. Our 2 woman team managed to get my songs play-listed on radio stations in 36 countries. Gooooooo team! This was the song that made it all possible:
11. The Wawela Award nominations were announced. And well… You know the rest